Add SuperSpeed USB Connections to Your MacBook Pro or PC Notebook Computer
Your MacBook Pro or PC notebook computer has USB 2.0 ports, and they’ve served you well. Talk about compatibility—keyboards, mice, printers, scanners, joysticks, digital cameras, flash drives—what couldn’t you plug in? Talk about performance—well, that’s where USB ports 2.0 are merely passable—they limit data transfer speeds to around 25–30 MB/s. For most peripherals, that’s perfectly adequate, but when you connect an external drive and expect great performance, that bottleneck is a problem—video editing, backing up, and other data-intensive activities suffer as a result. Enter Sonnet’s USB 3.0 ExpressCard/34 adapter(1), the bottleneck breaker! This Sonnet host controller is based on the new USB 3.0 standard that offers up to 10x the performance of the decade-old USB 2.0 interface. A single hard drive with a USB 3.0 interface is capable of transferring data at up to 125 MB/s, while SSDs (solid state drives) are capable of even faster transfers—insert Sonnets USB 3.0 ExpressCard/34 adapter into your notebook computers ExpressCard slot to exploit the full performance potential of these fast drives.
Sonnet’s USB 3.0 ExpressCard/34 works in ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54 slots. This card supports hot-swappable storage connections. Insert Sonnets USB 3.0 ExpressCard/34 adapter into your MacBook Pro or PC notebook to experience the super speed of USB 3.0 connectivity firsthand.
MacBook Pro (with ExpressCard slot)
Supports only USB 3.0 and 2.0 storage devices and media readers
OS® X Version 10.6.8-10.9+
OS X Mavericks compatible(6)
PC notebook (with ExpressCard slot)
1. The Mac OS X driver for this card does not support non-storage devices. iPods and iPhones are not supported. USB 3.0 hubs are not supported. Bus-powered 2.5" drives or SSDs are not supported.
2. Supports USB 3.0 media readers such as:
3. This is insufficient power to support USB 3.0 bus-powered 2.5" hard drives or SSDs. It is generally sufficient to support flash drives.
4. USB 3.0 devices require USB 3.0 cables to support USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed) transfer speeds (up to 5 Gb/s). Use of USB 2.0 cables between USB 3.0 devices and USB 3.0 ExpressCard/34 is supported, but data transfers are limited to USB 2.0 speeds (up to 480 Mb/s).
5. Not compatible with USB 3.0 duplicator stations, such as the Addonics Mini HDD Duplicator Station.
6. When upgrading to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) you must reinstall your products Sonnet driver software.