The versatile Romi chassis is a great starting point for your next mobile robot. This kit includes all the basic mechanical parts to get up and running, including two motors, two wheels, one ball caster, and battery contacts. The wheels and ball are white; all other plastic components are red.
The Romi chassis is a differential-drive mobile robot platform with a diameter of 6.5″ (165 mm) and an integrated battery holder for six AA batteries (not included). The drive wheels are located on a diameter of the circular base plate, allowing for turns or spinning in place. A large, fixed ball caster in the rear provides a smooth third point of contact, and a second ball caster (not included) can optionally be added to the front. The chassis uses 70×8mm Pololu wheels and Mini Plastic Gearmotors with extended backshafts to enable quadrature encoders for position feedback.
The Romi chassis has an abundance of general-purpose mounting holes and slots intended for various sizes of screws (not included) such as #2-56, #4-40, M2, and M3. These holes can be used for mounting your electronics, such as your microcontroller, motor drivers, and sensors.
The plastic components making up the chassis are available in six colors, either individually (for use as replacement parts or to make custom color combinations) or in kits that include motors and battery contacts.
This animation shows how the parts fit together:
- One red Romi chasis base plate
- Two mini plastic gearmotors (120:1 HP with offset output and extended motor shaft)
- A pair of red Romi chassis motor clips
- A pair of white 70×8mm Pololu Wheels
- One red Romi chassis ball caster kit
- One Romi chassis battery contact set
Additional required components (not included with the kit)
In addition to what comes with the kit, you will need the following:
- Six AA batteries (we recommend rechargeable AA NiMH cells); see sec0J1041 for more details about power options.
- Electronics to control the motors (e.g. the DRV8835 dual motor driver carrier, which is also available in an Arduino shield form factor as well as a motor driver kit for Raspberry Pi).
You will likely also need a soldering iron for connecting your motors and batteries to your electronics.
- Size: 163 × 149 × 70 mm
- Weight: 160 g1
- Color: red
Notes: Without batteries.
|Actual-size view of the top of the Romi Chassis : Download|